libkparts.so.4: cannot open shared object file

Simon St James simon at etotheipiplusone.com
Tue Dec 18 09:27:52 GMT 2007

Hi all,

I'm running into the above error during startup in KDE4Daily.  I was assuming
that it was an error on my part, but apparently a few people have reported
it, so I thought I'd try and give some info to help narrow it down.

It seems to have been introduced between r748956 and r749611, and persists in
749843.  KDE4Daily has its install rooted at /storage/tmp/kde4dev, and
libkparts.so.4 is present in /storage/tmp/kde4dev/kde/lib and has been binary
equal across the listed revisions.  ksmserver has been different in each
revision, however.

I've modified startkde to contain the following lines:

echo "Vars:"
export
echo "End vars"
ldd /storage/tmp/kde4dev/kde/bin/ksmserver

just before the line

kwrapper4 ksmserver $KDEWM

Attempting to start KDE4 via KDM gives the .xsession-errors listed here:

http://etotheipiplusone.com/kde4daily/docs/.xsession-errors-fail

Interestingly, I was able, on a couple of attempts, to manually start an
X-server and boot into KDE4 using a manual call to startkde.  Unfortunately,
I don't seem to be able to do that now [the X-server now crashes with some
libGL error] and didn't obtain a log :/

When preparing a KDE4Daily update, I don't "make clean", but I do completely
wipe the kde & Qt install (i.e. I delete all contents
of /storage/tmp/kde4dev/) so there should be no stale libraries floating
around.

I should be on IRC as "SSJ_GZ" if anyone wants any more info!

Hope this helps to narrow things down for you.

Cheers,
Simon