Closing all bugs?

David Jarvie djarvie at kde.org
Fri Dec 14 10:45:38 GMT 2007

On Thursday 13 December 2007 17:52, Kuba Ober wrote:
> Shouldn't the kde3 and kde4 bugs be treated essentially separately, such
> that kde3 bugs are not even looked at during kde4 development (save for
> wishlist
> items etc). Some kde3 wishlist bugs could be removed from kde3 and added
> to kde4. I don't know how it currently is or would be implemented, but
> I can't imagine using the kde3 bug list directly for kde4 in any shape or
> form.

Actually many KDE 3 bugs (not just wishlist items) will apply equally to
KDE 4. That is certainly my experience. But keeping KDE 3 and 4 bug lists
separate seems like a good idea from now on.

I'd rather see KDE 3 bugs left open while KDE 3 remains alive, which it
will do for the next year or more - some important KDE apps, e.g. kmail,
won't appear until KDE 4.1, and user migration will take time after that.
People need to be able to check whether a KDE 3 bug they encounter is
known and whether it has been fixed in a later version or in SVN. Closing
all bugs would mean that information is lost or more difficult to find. If
a bug still exists in KDE 3, closing the bug report just conceals the fact
that it actually still exists.

--
David Jarvie.
KAlarm author & maintainer.