Installed sounds

Jos Poortvliet jos at mijnkamer.nl
Mon Aug 27 16:33:53 BST 2007

On 8/27/07, Jaison Lee <lee.jaison at gmail.com> wrote:

> > Couse we saw litle point in uploding work versions of the same sound, no
> need
> > for 3 difrent startup sounds nor a 20 seconds promo song, nor for 4
> diferent
> > ping's.
>
> Quite the contrary, there is a VERY valid reason for a couple versions
> of each sound: it's called having "options." You see, there is a very
> real possibility that I might not like the same sound you do. Care
> must be taken when choosing (there is always kde-look) but but having
> a "default" and "classic" option at least is something I find
> downright necessary. And seeing as how sounds are pretty small and
> there is a working interface for the user to choose between them[1]
> having some built-in options that can be chosen without an internet
> connection and without downloading huge theme packs is something that
> will benefit KDE greatly.

Personally, I would also prefer to see a little more of the work going on in
SVN, and having options is good. Yet I think part of his statement was about
removing some old stuff which didn't really add anything and with that, I
agree.

[1] There is no doubt that lack of a theming interface for the sounds