clarification on git, central repositories and commit access lists

Adam Treat treat at kde.org
Wed Aug 22 07:50:44 BST 2007

On Wednesday 22 August 2007, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> unless their git trees were synced on a very frequent basis with svn and
> unless i could commit to svn and have it sync'd back to one of their trees,
> there's no point in me dealing with running trunk/ apps.

You can do all of this with git-svn and what I'm suggesting.  The whole idea
is that a subgroup of people can use git and the rest of the developers don't
even have to notice that git is being used.

That is what a number of developers are doing right now in webkit.  It seems
to be working very well.

> to be perfectly honest: i find it jaw droppingly amazing how cavalierly
> people take dividing our development community. it's as if the tools we use
> are somehow more important than the social structures. that priority is
> completely backwards.

Again, read above.  People who choose not to parcipate and experimenting with
git will not even know that some people are using git.  The commits will look
just like regular svn commits.  The only thing that you might notice is when
someone merges their git branch and you see 20 small commits happen virtually
at once.

Adam