clarification on git, central repositories and commit access lists

Zack Rusin zack at kde.org
Wed Aug 22 08:11:52 BST 2007

I don't want to comment on this thread, especially given my huge bias (i love
Git), but

On Wednesday 22 August 2007 02:50:44 am Adam Treat wrote:
> That is what a number of developers are doing right now in webkit.  It
> seems to be working very well.

is not true at all. People are willing to bare with it because they really
want to be using Git. "Working" and "working very well" are two very
different things.

The thing that drives me absolutely bonkers is the flat history. You have this
amazing tool that lets you work in branches and then merge them in and you
push your changes to something that removes that information. Brilliant.
Information loss is not high on the list of the things I want from my central
repo.