clarification on git, central repositories and commit access lists

Thomas Zander zander at kde.org
Tue Aug 21 20:07:06 BST 2007

On Tuesday 21 August 2007 01:26:00 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> i'll be really unimpressed if i have to maintain multiple source trees
> based on 'random' SCM migration, e.g. kdepim is git but kdegraphics is
> svn. right now we have a pretty high % of people who track the whole of
> KDE, and that's only going to get hurt with a spotty transition.

Why would you have to maintain multiple source trees in case kdepim moved
to git first?

If the kdepim team would want to move the majority of their development to
git then you would hardly notice (as a svn user), AFAICT.

Their git trees (most likely more then one) would be published somewhere
for kdepim enthusiasts to follow and develop on, but in the end you'd
still need to move the patches that will eventually end up in the final
release to subversion.

I have not had the pleasure to spent a lot of time on git and trying out
strategies, but in Darcs this would not be a problem. And the git tools
are actually better then the ones for Darcs ;)

See also what Linus said on this subject at
http://www.efytimes.com/efytimes/21160/news.htm The answer to the
question from Jordan Uggla. About half way down the page.

--
Thomas Zander