clarification on git, central repositories and commit access lists

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Wed Aug 22 05:49:55 BST 2007

On Tuesday 21 August 2007, Thomas Zander wrote:
> On Tuesday 21 August 2007 01:26:00 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> > i'll be really unimpressed if i have to maintain multiple source trees
> > based on 'random' SCM migration, e.g. kdepim is git but kdegraphics is
> > svn. right now we have a pretty high % of people who track the whole of
> > KDE, and that's only going to get hurt with a spotty transition.
>
> Why would you have to maintain multiple source trees in case kdepim moved
> to git first?
>
> If the kdepim team would want to move the majority of their development to
> git then you would hardly notice (as a svn user), AFAICT.
>
> Their git trees (most likely more then one) would be published somewhere
> for kdepim enthusiasts to follow and develop on, but in the end you'd
> still need to move the patches that will eventually end up in the final
> release to subversion.

which means that between releases they'd have one less person testing their
code and one less person making the odd fix here and there. i track every
module and have used HEAD/trunk kdepim for the entirety of the kde2 and kde3
series for my day to day use.

unless their git trees were synced on a very frequent basis with svn and
unless i could commit to svn and have it sync'd back to one of their trees,
there's no point in me dealing with running trunk/ apps.

unlike some people, i actually consider eating dogfood to be pretty important.
i'm running kde4 on my desktop at home as much as possible and will
transition all my systems to it, no matter how painful, when we move to RC's
if not earlier.

that's how i roll, and making it harder for other people to do that seems
downright shortsighted.

i'd also suggest that there are already enough barriers to contributing to
kdelibs from application developers that we don't need to widen those rifts.

to be perfectly honest: i find it jaw droppingly amazing how cavalierly people
take dividing our development community. it's as if the tools we use are
somehow more important than the social structures. that priority is
completely backwards.

it's also as if it's too easy to get involved with the KDE project these days
so we need to make it more complicated to do so. websites in svn is my
favourite example of that mind set, techbase is my current favourite
counter-example.

perhaps we take a lot for granted as people who are used to dealing with kde
week in, week out. spending time with those who are on the outside might be
an eye opener?

whatever it takes, let's get our priorities straight.

now, don't get me wrong. i am very much in favour of moving to something
better than svn. i think git is a great candidate; perhaps even -the-
candidate in the mid-term. at the same time, i don't want to see that
transition cause unnecessary problems.

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se