clarification on git, central repositories and commit access lists

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Mon Aug 20 12:22:18 BST 2007

On Monday 20 August 2007 13:02:54 Josef Spillner wrote:
> On Monday 20 August 2007 11:46:43 Thiago Macieira wrote:
> > That counts as atomic commits to me. But that's *still* not what I want.
> > I want to have atomic changesets. That is, I don't want to have one big
> > commit saying "updating API XYZ and adapting to it throughout".
>
> The word changeset isn't used in git anymore, and neither is it used in
> SVN. Just to clarify: You want something like
> 	cd kdelibs; svn commit # produces r666666
> 	cd ../kdegames; svn commit @r666666 # denotes dependency on your specific
> kdelibs update
> Or alternatively, with tagged commits
> 	cd kdelibs; svn commit @thiago-feature
> 	cd ../kdegames; svn commit @thiago-feature
> to express a direct relationship between commits?

No, I want this:

kdelibs# work...
kdelibs# commit -m "New API"
kdelibs# work...
kdelibs# commit -m "Adapt kdelibs to new API"
kdelibs# cd ../kdegames
kdegames# work...
kdegames# commit -m "Adapt kdegames to new API"
kdegames# cd ..
KDE# push all changes

I want all changes to be pushed in one go or not at all. I know this gets
difficult if you work across modules because you must make sure you have the
latest version in all of them and everytime someone commits, you have to
merge their changes and push again.

This is the same as if I were merging a branch: if that branch was previously
pushed, just mark as a merge. If they hadn't been pushed yet, then push them
together with my commits.

    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358