Which styles to keep?

Torsten Rahn torsten.rahn at credativ.de
Mon Aug 20 01:19:07 BST 2007

On Monday 20 August 2007 01:53:46 Robert Knight wrote:
> Can I make a suggestion.  I have no qualms with making the older
> styles available to those who would like to use them.    However,
> there is the paradox of choice problem for users.  At the moment my
> styles list in Kubuntu has 17 options.  Of those, about half are
> styles which look "1990s" to me, a look which I personally do not
> like.  In order to find those styles which do appeal to me, I have to
> wade through the "ugly" half.   The current tools we provide to the
> user to adjust their desktop's look and feel do not scale well.  With
> that in mind, and assuming they will not be re-written in time for the
> KDE 4 release, a fairly limited out-of-the-box set would probably be a
> good idea.

That describes exactly the problem I had with "normal" people which I have
seen digging through the style list.

> As a simple step which would probably be easy to do, I think it would
> be helpful to users (and distributors) if we were to 'brand' those
> older styles as say, "Classic" for example and make it easy for the
> distributions to package those styles separately from the more modern
> ones created for KDE 4.  To help users find the styles they are after
> more easily, we could group them accordingly in the style selection
> dialog.

Yes, I also think that this would be a good idea. Note that the package where
those styles should go, must not be called "kde-artwork" but should be called
something like "kde(g)oldies". "kdeoldies" could furthermore ship a whole lot
of old icons and styles so the user can straight dive into the good old days
of non-flashiness ;-)

Torsten

--
 Torsten Rahn

 Tel.: 0 21 61 - 46 43 - 192

credativ GmbH, HRB Mönchengladbach 12080
Hohenzollernstr. 133, 41061 Mönchengladbach
Geschäftsführung: Dr. Michael Meskes, Jörg Folz