Which styles to keep?

Robert Knight robertknight at gmail.com
Mon Aug 20 00:53:46 BST 2007

Hello,

Can I make a suggestion.  I have no qualms with making the older
styles available to those who would like to use them.    However,
there is the paradox of choice problem for users.  At the moment my
styles list in Kubuntu has 17 options.  Of those, about half are
styles which look "1990s" to me, a look which I personally do not
like.  In order to find those styles which do appeal to me, I have to
wade through the "ugly" half.   The current tools we provide to the
user to adjust their desktop's look and feel do not scale well.  With
that in mind, and assuming they will not be re-written in time for the
KDE 4 release, a fairly limited out-of-the-box set would probably be a
good idea.

As a simple step which would probably be easy to do, I think it would
be helpful to users (and distributors) if we were to 'brand' those
older styles as say, "Classic" for example and make it easy for the
distributions to package those styles separately from the more modern
ones created for KDE 4.  To help users find the styles they are after
more easily, we could group them accordingly in the style selection
dialog.

Regards,
Robert.