Which styles to keep?

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Thu Aug 16 14:49:46 BST 2007

On Thursday 16 August 2007, Guillaume Laurent wrote:
> Well, too bad for him, but I think we can do without people who can't
> think out of their own geek-pink bubble.

If we're talking about being able to do without people, maybe we can do
without people who think they can do without a class of people they feel free
to dismiss with a pejorative epithet?

Because we've got plenty of hands on board to actually finish the thing per
spec and on time, of course. We can easily afford to junk contributors
because they don't agree with you.

And sure, an attractive default style is important. Keramik lost us an
enormous amount of potential users right at the time when lots of people were
moving to Linux. When Keramik was default, none of my co-workers who switched
became KDE users. They all picked Gnome, on looks.

Whether Oxygen will do any better is something I really doubt. It's too much
look-at-the-cool-widgets-not-your-work with at the same time an acute lack of
any contrast so it takes real effort to see the state of the widgets properly.

But what do I know. I code nowadays, so I haven't got any aesthetic sense,
ipso facto. Oh wait, that's true for my ex-co-workers, too. They were coders
and project leads. Their opinion doesn't count. We wouldn't have wanted them
as users anyway.

--
Boudewijn Rempt
http://www.valdyas.org/fading/index.cgi