Which styles to keep?

Guillaume Laurent glaurent at telegraph-road.org
Thu Aug 16 15:14:59 BST 2007

On Aug 16, 2007, at 3:49 PM, Boudewijn Rempt wrote:

> On Thursday 16 August 2007, Guillaume Laurent wrote:
>> Well, too bad for him, but I think we can do without people who can't
>> think out of their own geek-pink bubble.
>
> If we're talking about being able to do without people, maybe we
> can do
> without people who think they can do without a class of people they
> feel free
> to dismiss with a pejorative epithet?

I was thinking of people who insist on their own pet visual style
even though it looks obsolete.

> Because we've got plenty of hands on board to actually finish the
> thing per
> spec and on time, of course. We can easily afford to junk contributors
> because they don't agree with you.

Seriously, if someone jumps ship just because KDE takes a business/
market-oriented direction (which pretty much means that it starts
tackling needs of non-geek users), is that "junking" him ? In my mind
it's more like he's just being immature.

> And sure, an attractive default style is important. Keramik lost us an
> enormous amount of potential users right at the time when lots of
> people were
> moving to Linux. When Keramik was default, none of my co-workers
> who switched
> became KDE users. They all picked Gnome, on looks.

That's exactly what I mean. I'd bet looks also played a large part in
Ubuntu's initial choice of Gnome over KDE (that and the number of
options in the control panel).

> Whether Oxygen will do any better is something I really doubt. It's
> too much
> look-at-the-cool-widgets-not-your-work with at the same time an
> acute lack of
> any contrast so it takes real effort to see the state of the
> widgets properly.

I can't say anything about Oxygen. At least the icons look nice
(rather OSX-ish).

> But what do I know. I code nowadays, so I haven't got any aesthetic
> sense,
> ipso facto. Oh wait, that's true for my ex-co-workers, too. They
> were coders
> and project leads. Their opinion doesn't count. We wouldn't have
> wanted them
> as users anyway.

You may have aesthetic sense (although from a statistical point of
view, given the sheer number of enlightenment-gothic-matrix-jessica-
alba-theme screenshots over those which are, well, not eye-piercing,
assuming a coder has aesthetic sense isn't a safe bet), you won't
have any sense of usability though, because your way of using a
machine is just so different from a normal user, and your
understanding of it makes it impossible for you to put yourself in
his shoes. There's a reason why (good) usability is done by different
people than programmers, because not only is it a completely
different set of skills, it's also something programmer minds are
generally too warped to do properly.

--
Guillaume
http://telegraph-road.org