Extended debug

Josef Spillner spillner at kde.org
Tue Aug 14 12:27:22 BST 2007

On Tuesday 14 August 2007 11:50:11 Thomas Zander wrote:
> It would be great if after this thread comes up with a good default we can
> steal some ideas from log4j and allow people that work on just one or 2
> classes to see only their debug like the old stuff did.  I.e. be
> configurable in some way.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/qmmslog seems to be unmaintained but might
still be a useful resource.

In general one might also investigate the idea of using log4j directly in
debug builds. Using GCJ, you can create C++ headers for Java libraries and
use the natively compiled version (log4j.x.x.x.jar.so) so the only overhead
would be a tiny variant of a VM running. I've made good experience with this
mechanism as it saves a lot of maintenance work for reimplementations, but
there are also certain issues such as dlopen() aka plugged-in XML parsers,
for instance.

Josef