Extended debug

Thomas Zander zander at kde.org
Tue Aug 14 10:50:11 BST 2007

On Monday 13 August 2007 23:44:46 Matthew Woehlke wrote:
> > This kind of feedback is the reason I turned the thing on.
> >
> > How about name and PID for release builds of kdecore and full
> > information for debug builds?
>
> How about an environment variable to turn this junk *off*? It makes it
> hard to use kDebug as a featureful printf(), especially since
> practically every line now exceeds the width of my Konsole, which makes
> things harder to read...
>
> Don't get me wrong, I understand you sometimes want the extra info, but
> sometimes you don't :-).

What the Java world has been doing to work with this is the following[1];

* have a config file to specify how to output a debug line;
something like; .ConversionPattern=%-4d [%t] %-5p %c %x - %m%n
* allow a gui app to 'attach' to the debug of your app and show a table
with columns and all sorts of other filtering features.
Great for integration with an IDE.

It would be great if after this thread comes up with a good default we can
steal some ideas from log4j and allow people that work on just one or 2
classes to see only their debug like the old stuff did.  I.e. be
configurable in some way.

1) the log4j package is quite configurable with debug levels, different
outputters and hierarchies (instead of just plain numbers); certainly
useful to take a look at. But I'll limit my mail to the immediate problem
of "information overload".
--
Thomas Zander