Making kdefx static

Matthew Woehlke mw_triad at users.sourceforge.net
Fri Aug 3 19:57:02 BST 2007

There are a number of people that want to kill kdefx, for a number of
reasons:

- the code is ugly and (reportedly) doesn't work
- parts are in the process of being supplanted by Qt
- it exists partly because in KDE3, KStyle could not be in kdeui
- the code has, AFAICT, received practically no love in a long time
- parts do not follow naming convention

The intent as far as I can see is to replace it with a totally new,
well-designed and high-quality lib in 4.1. Since of course 4.1 != 4.0
and there are unfortunately a number of users that have not ported away
from kdefx, we need to do something to provide for a more graceful
transition away than simply removing the library.

Therefore, I can think of a few options:
1. Rename the useful bits K3* and remove what we can
2. Make the library static
3. Both?

Option 1 would mean we are stuck with stale (and ugly) code for the life
of KDE4. Option 2 means we can yank kdefx later without affecting BC.
Option 3 is the same as 2 except that 2 is (or is very nearly) SC, while
1 and 3 require minor code changes for all users (i.e. adding "3" to all
uses).

My preference is option 2. If we can reach a consensus, I will plan to
do this either Monday 8/13 (if I can get it done by then, I don't have a
lot of available time next week) or else Monday 8/20.

Note that Allen Winter has already stated that kdefx is exempt from the
freeze, and that previous consensus on k-c-d has been to proceed with
removal of the library.

--
Matthew
"Non sequitor. Your facts are out of order." -- Nomad