Making kdefx static

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Fri Aug 3 20:23:03 BST 2007

On 03.08.07 13:57:02, Matthew Woehlke wrote:
> There are a number of people that want to kill kdefx, for a number of reasons:
>
> - the code is ugly and (reportedly) doesn't work
> - parts are in the process of being supplanted by Qt
> - it exists partly because in KDE3, KStyle could not be in kdeui
> - the code has, AFAICT, received practically no love in a long time
> - parts do not follow naming convention
>
> The intent as far as I can see is to replace it with a totally new,
> well-designed and high-quality lib in 4.1. Since of course 4.1 != 4.0 and there
> are unfortunately a number of users that have not ported away
> >from kdefx, we need to do something to provide for a more graceful
> transition away than simply removing the library.
>
> Therefore, I can think of a few options:
> 1. Rename the useful bits K3* and remove what we can
> 2. Make the library static
> 3. Both?
>
> Option 1 would mean we are stuck with stale (and ugly) code for the life of
> KDE4. Option 2 means we can yank kdefx later without affecting BC. Option 3 is
> the same as 2 except that 2 is (or is very nearly) SC, while 1 and 3 require
> minor code changes for all users (i.e. adding "3" to all uses).

As far as I know the plan is to introduce Blitz from Mosfet as
replacement for kdefx in KDE 4.0 and replace that by Quasar for 4.1
(when its ready). Blitz would be created as static library so its easier
to remove later on and AFAIK Mosfet wanted to help in the porting
effort. This would allow to svn rm kdefx completely for kde4.0

Link to the discussion:
http://lists.kde.org/?t=118518132600004&r=1&w=2

Andreas

--