FW: [REMINDER] Upcoming KDE 4.0 Milestones + Nepomuk

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Tue Apr 10 18:29:32 BST 2007

On Monday 09 April 2007, Christian Ehrlicher wrote:
> Aaron J. Seigo schrieb:
> > On Monday 09 April 2007, Christian Ehrlicher wrote:
> >> Please notice that nepomuk did not work on win32 some weeks ago - did
> >> not try since then due to other things to do. Is it possible to compile
> >> nepomuk as an optional module?
> >
> > it is right now, yes. as more apps get support for it, however, it's
> > going to become more and more of an issue. the worst thing is having lots
> > of optional code that only a small number of people use because it's
> > optional. that guarantees bugs and breakages, which will lead to nepomuk
> > getting a poor reputation and used even less. that's really the opposite
> > of what we should be aiming for.
> >
> > if it doesn't build on win32, either make it not build on win32 or fix
> > the build. afaik saprano builds on win32 at least, which it didn't
> > previously.
>
> I managed to compile all dependencies on win32, but had some issues
> compiling nepomuk (rcgen / librdf did not work correct and rcgen
> creation on cmake time is more a hack than a real solution). But don't
> know the current status...

hm. well, rcgen is there to process the ontologies into classes, sort of how
qdbusxml2cpp does that for dbus xml files, or kconfig_compiler does for
kcfg[c] files. so it should be able to be done in a way considered non-hacky.
worst case scenario: we just commit the generated files and make it a process
left up to whomever changes the ontologies.

> I'll take a look on this in the next two weeks but it would be nice to
> make it optional until 4.1.

this would realistically mean application integration in 4.2 or later. most
apps simply will not get integration for a feature that is optional and out
of kde's main modules. not a great result, imho.

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se