HIG; dialogs and layouts.

Leo Savernik l.savernik at aon.at
Wed Apr 4 16:12:26 BST 2007

Am Mittwoch, 4. April 2007 schrieb Thomas Zander:
> > Erm, do those patched dialogs still resize properly?
>
> Sure;

Good. It sounded hackier than it is ;-)

> the only things my solution does is to;
> a) set the alignment of a label,
> b) set the column that contains a set of labels to a minimum size based on
> the biggest label in that (visual) column.
>
> The effect is that each individual layout manager behaves like it has the
> widest label in there and thus all layouts scale similarly.
>
> Labels still have a scaling strategy of 'minimum' compared to the Qt3 '
> fixed' and thus making the dialog larger will allocate more space to that
> column. I'm not sure if that's wanted; and its worth trying to change that.
>
> I feel obligated to point out that the suggested solution by the HIG team
> was to add quite a lot of spacers which IMO is a bigger hack than this :)
> Not to mention harder to do in each and every dialog we have.

I think your solution is much better from a maintenance POV. However, only the
initial flickering worries me a bit. If i understand it correctly, you don't
get the minimum width of the longest label before they haven't been painted.
Would be it worthwhile to paint them into an off-screen pixmap and remember
the longest width?

mfg
	Leo