HIG; dialogs and layouts.

Thomas Zander zander at kde.org
Wed Apr 4 07:47:41 BST 2007

On Tuesday 03 April 2007 22:02, Leo Savernik wrote:
> > Very hard; there is no bug or missing feature in designer; the missing
> > feature is in the layout manager QGridLayout.
>
> Erm, do those patched dialogs still resize properly?

Sure;
the only things my solution does is to;
a) set the alignment of a label,
b) set the column that contains a set of labels to a minimum size based on the
biggest label in that (visual) column.

The effect is that each individual layout manager behaves like it has the
widest label in there and thus all layouts scale similarly.

Labels still have a scaling strategy of 'minimum' compared to the Qt3 ' fixed'
and thus making the dialog larger will allocate more space to that column.
I'm not sure if that's wanted; and its worth trying to change that.

I feel obligated to point out that the suggested solution by the HIG team was
to add quite a lot of spacers which IMO is a bigger hack than this :)
Not to mention harder to do in each and every dialog we have.
--
Thomas Zander