HIG; dialogs and layouts.

Thomas Zander zander at kde.org
Wed Apr 4 17:19:30 BST 2007

On Wednesday 04 April 2007 17:12, Leo Savernik wrote:
> > I feel obligated to point out that the suggested solution by the HIG team
> > was to add quite a lot of spacers which IMO is a bigger hack than this :)
> > Not to mention harder to do in each and every dialog we have.
>
> I think your solution is much better from a maintenance POV. However, only
> the initial flickering worries me a bit. If i understand it correctly, you
> don't get the minimum width of the longest label before they haven't been
> painted. Would be it worthwhile to paint them into an off-screen pixmap and
> remember the longest width?

Well, I wrote to this list because all the smartest KDE people are on it :)
The actual label width is not so much the problem, the positioning of the
labels is.
I can't just use each and every label in the dialog; I have to find out which
labels are in the same visual column. And that irrespective of which layout
manager or parent widget that contains them.
So I ask their layouted (global) position instead.

The resulting flicker is minimal, most people won't notice it.  But its there
and I'd much rather avoid it.

The ideal solution would be if we could get uic to generate more code, but I
don't think uic allows plugins like that, does it?
--
Thomas Zander