Color, Icon and Font Settings in KDE4

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Mon Apr 2 23:41:24 BST 2007

On Saturday 31 March 2007, Olaf Schmidt wrote:
> 1. The handling of colours, icons and fonts in KDE can be much improved.
> You can find a description of useful changes here:
> http://amen-online.de/%7Eolafschmidt/colors/colors.pdf

some comments/questions:

- why number the colours when there are semantics to them? in the table on
page 4 (table numbers would be nice =) the numbered colours are given
contexts in which they should be used. as a side note, i'd also
recommend "Secure" versus "Encrypted"

- it would be useful to provide some guidelines as to when to use the
different content color sets; i see normal vs selected matrixed with link
read/unread making up for the first 7 entries; how do the rest map? or do the
numbers mean the same thing, e.g. Background 2, color 4 is for "New item in
an unread context"?

- the easiest way to make "Strict Mode" work for colours scheme imho is to
centralize all colour and background image API so that this can be implement
centrally rather than in each application. apps that don't use the colour
scheme system provided would then be considered automatically "buggy"

useful helper functions:

- what variations would be need to be calculated, specifically?
- we already have code for colorizing an image in kde3; specifically, in
kicker. we use it for the menu sidebar.
- contrast between a colour and a background image is probably pretty hard to
impossible? if you have a background image that is a mix of white and black
squares, then white text will be invisible part of the time, black text part
of the time, etc.. i suppose we could do a heuristic guess but without
knowing positioning of the colour on the image it won't be perfect?
- what sort of "new foreground colours" in addition to the color scheme would
be necessary? it's not very difficult to just spin around the colour wheel
staying within a certain contrast area, but knowing what the purpose of this
would be useful
- what is meant by "making the rendering of selected icons an icon effect like
for disabled icons"? we already have icon effects specifically for this, and
i started sketching in an API that does things like split the
current "Active" into "HoveredState" and "SelectedState" so there is more
fine grained control over this. but i'm not sure exactly what is meant there?

as for the new widgets, i think those would make very nice additions to kde
4.1. i don't see it happening for 4.0 unless someone new steps up. we've got
so much else to do right now.

icons: you note that some icon sizes can not be changed. which do you have in
mind? i've already looked at adding support in KIcon for button, dialog, and
file manager icons; menu icons are defined by the style, though kde-aware
styles could adjust to a kde setting that we pop into qsettings/xsettings
perhaps.

can you be more specific about this one: "The rendering for selected icons
does not work well with the monochrome icon theme and high contrast color
schemes."

i'm sure i'll come up with more as i spend more time with the document and the
current APIs, but it's a start ;)

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se