Color, Icon and Font Settings in KDE4

Matthew Woehlke mw_triad at users.sourceforge.net
Tue Apr 3 19:06:45 BST 2007

Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Saturday 31 March 2007, Olaf Schmidt wrote:
>> 1. The handling of colours, icons and fonts in KDE can be much improved.
>> You can find a description of useful changes here:
>> http://amen-online.de/%7Eolafschmidt/colors/colors.pdf
>
> - why number the colours when there are semantics to them? in the table on
> page 4 (table numbers would be nice =) the numbered colours are given
> contexts in which they should be used. as a side note, i'd also
> recommend "Secure" versus "Encrypted"

...My understanding is "because the roles are suggestions". An
application may want to use them for different purposes (of course,
errors should always be a particular index, but that particular index
need not be used only for errors). But I suppose it would help
readability to give them names, if we accept that they will not always
be used for exactly those purposes.

> - what sort of "new foreground colours" in addition to the color scheme would
> be necessary? it's not very difficult to just spin around the colour wheel
> staying within a certain contrast area, but knowing what the purpose of this
> would be useful

This, unfortunately, is application defined... which is a good reason
for the behavior above; we provide a set of stock colors that can be
customized, and (for increased consistency) *suggest* roles for each.

For example, the grepview widget in KDevelop has 'file name', 'result',
'command', 'errors', and 'output' (Ok, I think 'command' and 'errors'
are the same). or branches/3.5 I fixed this (it was using hard-coded
colors) to use normal text, 50% text/50% background, and link
visited/unvisited for these colors. With Olaf's proposal I think it
would use normal, 8 (comment), 2 (link unvisited) and 5 (error). Of
course, an ideal would be if all of KATE's attributes would be able to
leverage this so that 100% system colors are used in a default
configuration.

At some point we need to codify what the 'common use' roles are; I don't
think what's in the PDF should necessarily be considered 'law' yet, as
it hasn't (to my knowledge) really been discussed yet.

As I see it, the most important thing here is to decouple foreground
roles from background colors. Right now this is partly done, we have a
different "normal" for each of "button", "window" and "selected". What
we do NOT have is a "focused" background role, and distinct values for
the "link visited/unvisited" colors depending on their background. This
is mainly what needs to be addresses; getting a value of a foreground
color must depend on both the foreground role /and the background role/.

I think we have these background roles:

Workspace (currently known as "standard")
Selected
Window
Button
Tooltip

Focused Workspace
Focuses Selected(?)
Focused Window
Focused Button

..so each of those needs potentially its own set of foreground colors
for each defined foreground role. We can probably simplify things by
saying that there is only one effective "focused" background set (i.e.
all "focused" backgrounds must work against the "focused" foreground
color set), or that each set must work against both the "focused" and
"normal" background colors. However I am thinking that "selected" and
"focused selected" need to be distinct (i.e. not shared with any other
roles).

--
Matthew
Obscurity: +5