KDED time zone module

David Jarvie lists at astrojar.org.uk
Sun Apr 1 17:32:18 BST 2007

On Sunday 01 April 2007 17:08:57 Thiago Macieira wrote:
> David Jarvie wrote:
> > >
> > > How about a special KSystemTimeZone that is the local time zone? It
> > > doesn't have to map to any zone in the database.
>
> > The main problem here is that there won't be a name other than "local
> > zone" to display in user-visible text, or to save as the identity of
> > the time zone which a date/time is measured in.
>
> That's exactly my point: there should be no name other than "Local System
> Timezone".
>
> > So in a time zone
> > selection combo box, for example. "Local zone" would appear together
> > with all the named time zones, and the user may not necessarily know
> > which named zone was equivalent if using somebody else's computer or a
> > computer far from home. Valid iCalendar file entries couldn't be
> > written, for example, because when a time zone is being used, it has to
> > be written with an unambiguous name. If you sent a meeting invitation
> > to somebody in another time zone with "local zone" specified for the
> > time, it wouldn't show correctly in the invitee's calendar. No doubt
> > there are other examples where the time zone name is essential.
>
> I don't know how iCalendar works, but you can't send just the name and
> assume the other side has the same data as you. The file on the other
> side may simply not exist. Shouldn't iCalendar transmit the timezone
> information for the relevant dates?

Yes, it does. But if it was called "local zone", the invitee seeing this could
get very confused about what time zone was meant.

I'm copying this to the kde-pim list for comments from others who use
iCalendar. Would it be acceptable for the local time zone not to have a known
name in the user interface or data files?

--
David Jarvie.
KAlarm author and maintainer.