KDED time zone module

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Sun Apr 1 17:08:57 BST 2007

David Jarvie wrote:
>The main problem here is that there won't be a name other than "local
> zone" to display in user-visible text, or to save as the identity of
> the time zone which a date/time is measured in.

That's exactly my point: there should be no name other than "Local System
Timezone".

> So in a time zone
> selection combo box, for example. "Local zone" would appear together
> with all the named time zones, and the user may not necessarily know
> which named zone was equivalent if using somebody else's computer or a
> computer far from home. Valid iCalendar file entries couldn't be
> written, for example, because when a time zone is being used, it has to
> be written with an unambiguous name. If you sent a meeting invitation
> to somebody in another time zone with "local zone" specified for the
> time, it wouldn't show correctly in the invitee's calendar. No doubt
> there are other examples where the time zone name is essential.

I don't know how iCalendar works, but you can't send just the name and
assume the other side has the same data as you. The file on the other
side may simply not exist. Shouldn't iCalendar transmit the timezone
information for the relevant dates?

Unless there's a database of canonical iCalendar timezones that is
not /usr/share/zoneinfo. But even in that case, you still can't assume
the system localtime (/etc/localtime or $TZ) map to any file
in /usr/share/zoneinfo.

    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358