objections to disallowing in-source builds in all KDE modules ?

Michael Pyne michael.pyne at kdemail.net
Sat Sep 30 01:52:19 BST 2006

On Friday 29 September 2006 13:01, Stephan Kulow wrote:
> Am Freitag, 29. September 2006 06:08 schrieb Maksim Orlovich:
> > Too bad those "benefits" are not the actual reason, which we know as Alex
> > was kind enough to share his reasoning in his initial post:
>
> My main reason to forbid it is because I'm tired of fixing srcdir !=
> builddir problems for those that today say they don't like to be
> restricted. Supporting two setups is just a pain and those that would like
> to stick to their srcdir == builddir setups wouldn't want autorevert broken
> commits, right?

Actually I do remember that.

When I first started coding on kdecvs-build (which used srcdir != builddir to
make rebuilding easy), oftentimes it would break because a developer would
commit a change to Makefile.am that worked when using srcdir == builddir, but
was broken on srcdir != builddir.

If we allow srcdir == builddir and lots of devs are using that style it isn't
unreasonable to think that people using kdesvn-build would have this problem
with KDE 4, if the devs are not very careful.

(Very careful would include test building with srcdir != builddir, at which
point it's kind of pointless to have been building the other way IMO)

Although maybe if enough people simply copy/paste a working CMakeLists.txt it
won't be an issue, I don't know.

Regards,
 - Michael Pyne