Features for the new bugzilla?

Frans Englich englich at kde.org
Sun Sep 10 11:37:49 BST 2006

On Friday 08 September 2006 17:52, Thomas McGuire wrote:
> Hi!
>
> On Friday 08 September 2006 15:29, Philip Rodrigues wrote:
> > Hi,
> > As I guess everyone knows, there's a new server for bugs.kde.org being
> > prepared, with a newer version of bugzilla installed. This seems like a
> > good opportunity to discuss what additional features or changes would be
> > useful in the new bugzilla installation.
>
> Generally, have a look at
> http://bugs.kde.org/buglist.cgi?short_desc_type=allwordssubstr&short_desc=&
>long_desc_type=allwordssubstr&long_desc=&product=bugs.kde.org&bug_status=UNC
>ONFIRMED&bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=REOPENED&bugidtype=in
>clude&bug_id=&votes=&emailassigned_to1=1&emailtype1=substring&email1=&emaila
>ssigned_to2=1&emailreporter2=1&emailcc2=1&emailtype2=substring&email2=&chang
>edin=&chfieldfrom=&chfieldto=Now&chfieldvalue=&order=bugs.votes,bugs.bug_sev
>erity%2Cbugs.bug_id if you have not already done so.
>
> I'd like to have the ability to have more permissions on the bugs I've
> entered, e.g. closing them other things than WORKSFORME. This makes it
> possible to close your own bug as DUPLICATE or FIXED if you later see that
> this is the case.
>
> Additionally, the ability to receive bugzilla mails on modified bugs you've
> only commented to would be nice. Otherwise, in case somebody answers on one
> of your's comments, you would not notice and therefore not respond.

The easiest thing to do that now is to add oneself on the CC list, AFAIK.

> The killer feature would be something like commitfilter does for commits,
> but only for bugs. What I mean is that I want to subscribe to one or more
> things (all Konqueror bugs, all kmail bugs with category imap, all new bugs
> or whatever) and basically receive all bugzilla mails about that topic.
> This would be very useful in many cases and I think helps the bug triage
> people a lot.

This should really be implemented in bugzilla. Something like an atom feed or
similar. I agree it would be practical.

Hm, did some searching; from "New Features in
2.20"(http://www.bugzilla.org/releases/2.20/new-features.html):

<quote>
Bugzilla Queries as RSS
You can now view a Bugzilla query as valid RSS 1.0. This means that you could
add a particular query to your RSS aggregator, if you wanted, to keep track
of changes in Bugzilla.
To see a query as RSS, just click on the "RSS" link on the bottom of your
query results. Your query must return at least 1 result in order for you to
see the link.
</quote>

> Lastly, when entering new bugs, on the page where you have the ability to
> enter summary, os, compiler etc show a combobox to select the component of
> that application (defaulting to "general"). For example, if the application
> is KMail, the combobox would contain "addressbook", "composer", "IMAP" and
> so on. As a reporter, I see no other way to input this.

That would probably be component selection, somehow. Gnome's simple report
forms allow that.

Cheers,

		Frans