kdepring what are the plans?

Cristian Tibirna tibirna at kde.org
Sat Sep 9 23:32:59 BST 2006

On 9 September 2006 04:07, Thomas Zander wrote:
> Hi,
>
> shortly I will want to add printing support back into KWord. Using as much
> of Qt4s QPrinter capabilities as I can.
>
> Looking in the API docs for kdeprint I note that QPrinter is not used
> there and there is no support for printing to PDF in KPrinter. So this
> confuses me a bit on how to proceed.

Yes. By design of Michael Goffioul, KPrinter _has_a_ QPrinter and not _is_a_
QPrinter. I asked Michael for the reasons but he doesn't seem to remember.

It is part of my plan of reworking KPrinter (to be published shortly) to get
input from some willing panel of fellow developers as of which approach would
be better.

I personally also tend to make KPrinter _is_a_ QPrinter.

Anyways, I believe that no matter which approach will emerge, PDF printing
will almost automatically be a central feature we will decidedly implement.

> What are the plans for kdeprint?  Am I safe when I keep using QPrinter
> directly and assume kdeprint will be refactored to use the PDF output
> from QPrinter directly instead?
> Will features like different pagesize per page be supported?

As a rule, KPrinter should not offer any less than what QPrinter offers. The
tradition is that KPrinter offers more. So, I think it is a safe bet to put
on KPrinter being a useable tool when it is ready, at least on par with
QPrinter.

> I checked the TODO file and there is nothing there, I would be grateful
> for any info you can give me.

This will change ASAP (started a few days ago, but chronically lack time).
Thanks for raising the pressure and for having patience and confidence :-)

--
Cristian Tibirna
KDE developer .. tibirna at kde.org .. http://www.kde.org