proposal for full application scripting language in KDE 4

Richard Dale Richard_Dale at tipitina.demon.co.uk
Tue Oct 10 10:17:42 BST 2006

On Monday 09 October 2006 20:05, Simon Edwards wrote:
> On Monday 09 October 2006 19:33, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> > On Monday 09 October 2006 3:23, Richard Dale wrote:
> > > Note that we are working on C++, Java, C# and Ruby support for
> > > KDevelop4. Any other languages, such as Python can be implemented as
> > > plugins in the extragear module. We haven't included Python, not
> > > because we don't like
>
> it,
>
> > > but because there is no suitable developer who has volunteered to
> > > implement
> > > equivalent support to the 4 languages we've chosen to target.
> >
> > perhaps something to blog about to see if any motivated Python people
> > emerge?
> > perhaps an email to Python interest lists?
>
> The situation is that the Python community is already well served with
> quite a few (too many??) Python IDEs. And the Python people who are into Qt
> and KDE are even better served by the Eric3 IDE, which has been actively
> developed for years and is also written using PyQt.
>
> Python IDEs are an itch that has already been scratched. Perhaps not as
> conceptually neat as a one big IDE that does every language (KDevelop), but
> at the same time no-one can complain that there aren't any good Python IDEs
> available.
Well, I think Eric3 is a nice IDE for Qt-only Python or Ruby programming, but
it isn't so good for PyKDE or Korundum because it lacks project templates.
You need to be a able to create a KDE project like 'app framework', 'kpart'
or 'dbus server' and have the IDE create all the various files
like .kdesktop, xmlgui, icons, C++ top level stubs, install stuff etc that
you need for a KDE app. Maybe Eric4 will have project templates, but I don't
know anything about it yet.

-- Richard