proposal for full application scripting language in KDE 4

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Mon Oct 9 23:49:20 BST 2006

On Saturday 07 October 2006 22:53, Richard Dale wrote:
> On Saturday 07 October 2006 21:02, Scott Wheeler wrote:
> > I just wanted to turn this into something concrete and split it off of
> > the other thread since what sorts of scripting is being debated there.
> >
> > I mentioned a poll on this list the other day that I kicked off on
> > kdedevelopers.org.  The results are:
> >
> > Python:      46% (302 votes)
> > Ruby:        38% (252 votes)
> > JavaScript:   6% (40 votes)
> > Perl          5% (30 votes)
> > Z80 Assembly: 5% (35 votes)
> 8% is 'large'.? A random bunch of people voting is 'scientific' (and
> even you say it isn't)?
>
> I would say the community is pretty evenly split between python and
> ruby, and if you start arbitrarily specifying one over the other you
> guaranteed to piss off nearly 50% of potential contributors of
> applications written in dynamic languages.

I agree 100 %
This happened e.g. with UserLinux.
(do you still remember ?)

> How active is the kde
> python community relative to the ruby community?

From my personal impression, many KDE developers prefer Ruby over Python.
I really think we should not decide for one and against the other.
Just let's say we support Ruby and Python.
This will make something like 90% happy.

Bye
Alex

P.S. did I mention that at least kdelibs depend on Perl for building ?