proposal for full application scripting language in KDE 4

Scott Wheeler wheeler at kde.org
Sat Oct 7 22:07:46 BST 2006

On Saturday 07 October 2006 22:28, you wrote:

> Am I the only one that thinks that there is no "reasonable winner" but two
> of them?

I think it's clear that the benefits of having a preferred language or
languages diminishes the greater the number that are "preferred".

To phrase things another way, if we were to have the same vote on languages to
communicate in in KDE I suspect we'd also have two winners:  English and
German.  But it's clear that things get more complicated when people start
sending German posts to the list.  And they get even more complicated when we
allow English, German and Dutch.  And a bit more when we say English, German,
Dutch and French.

So we have subcommunities that function in those languages and a common base
in English.

Now the question really is, "How many (programming) languages can we allow in
our base before things get really confusing?"  And it's complicated by the
fact that we have other things to think about like quality of the bindings,
of the packages and so on.

Right now it seems the consensus is "At least two." (C++ and some scripting
language) and I'm reasonably convinced that three makes things harder, not
easier than two.

Cheers,

-Scott

--
You can't always write a chord ugly enough to say what you want to say, so
sometimes you have to rely on a giraffe filled with whipped cream.