proposal for full application scripting language in KDE 4

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Mon Oct 9 10:15:37 BST 2006

On Monday 09 October 2006 11:07, Guillaume Laurent wrote:

> Richard, if there's one thing I've learned from my time with gtkmm and
> Gnome, it's that language diversity is *NOT* such a good thing. It has
> very strong downsides, the main one being that it needs a whole lot of
> human resources (devs and doc writers) to actually work, which we don't
> have. Otherwise what you end up with is a bunch of half-finished
> bindings which aren't usable in practice because they're not reliable
> and documented enough. The dependency problem is another issue, if you
> want to avoid the chicken/egg problem, the only solution is to have a
> single "official" binding which you know will be installed along with
> KDE. I don't think that trying to have more is doable in practice.

The Qt/KDE bindings have always been better than the GTK/Gnome bindings:
stabler and more complete. It seems a little silly to assume that as soon as
we finally allow use of those bindings in kde the situation would suddenly
detoriate. Phil wouldn't stop doing PyQt, Jim wouldn't stop doing PyKDE,
Richard would't stop working on Korundum... And, since these people are
already doing the work, no additional burden would be laid on the shoulders
of the kdelibs developers.

--
Boudewijn Rempt
http://www.valdyas.org/fading/index.cgi