proposal for full application scripting language in KDE 4

Matt Rogers mattr at kde.org
Sun Oct 8 15:50:59 BST 2006

On Saturday 07 October 2006 15:02, Scott Wheeler wrote:
> I just wanted to turn this into something concrete and split it off of the
> other thread since what sorts of scripting is being debated there.
>
> I mentioned a poll on this list the other day that I kicked off on
> kdedevelopers.org.  The results are:
>
> Python:      46% (302 votes)
> Ruby:        38% (252 votes)
> JavaScript:   6% (40 votes)
> Perl          5% (30 votes)
> Z80 Assembly: 5% (35 votes)
>
> Total Votes: 659
>
> (Pasted here so that there's an accurate snapshot of the current state
> rather than people trying to win things for their favorite language after
> the fact. Voting has been extremely slow the last couple of days (around 10
> votes a day))
>
> It's not scientific, but I feel like the sample set of 659 votes from the
> KDE community is probably a better indicator than we'll get on this list
> and a margin that's large enough (8%) to show a reasonably clear "winner".
>
> So:
>
> I propose that we allow applications written in PyKDE in the main modules
> of KDE in KDE 4.  Applications in scripting languages other than Python
> should be allowed (and encouraged) in Extragear.
>
> There is the question of applications using those bindings.  We have
> Guidance already in extra gear and I assume it will be ported to KDE 4.  At
> around 24k lines (text, not code) that would seem to qualify as "real" even
> if it is somewhat distro specific.
>
> Just to clear the air a bit, I have no preference for Python vs. Ruby, so
> this isn't a personal crusade.  I do however think that having a single
> scripting language with first-class status in the project is a step
> forward.
>
> Usage in core components I think will have to be performance based.  I
> wouldn't be surprised if the Python community would be willing to help get
> things to the point that they might be acceptable, but only time will tell
> there.
>
> -Scott

I have one question:

Why don't we let the people who are actually doing the work decide?

This whole debate/thread/flamewar/whatever you want to call it is pointless.
This is not a democracy. If you want your favorite language to have
"first-class status" go do the work yourself.

This thread and the other thread need to end. Yesterday.

Thanks
--
Matt