proposal for full application scripting language in KDE 4

Scott Wheeler wheeler at kde.org
Sun Oct 8 16:29:09 BST 2006

On Sunday 08 October 2006 16:50, Matt Rogers wrote:
> Why don't we let the people who are actually doing the work decide?
>
> This whole debate/thread/flamewar/whatever you want to call it is
> pointless.   This is not a democracy. If you want your favorite language to
> have "first-class status" go do the work yourself.

I'd bet dollars to donuts that we're going to see both the Ruby and Python
bindings ported to KDE 4.  In light of that, and the sentiments expressed by
the technical working group:

"So while we want to support non-C++ development, we want one excellent
binding and I doubt we'll get one excellent one if we don't concentrate on
one in the core. That doesn't mean other bindings will stop to exist."

"The TWG actually thinks about requiring that at least one central application
in KDE 4 is not written in C++."

So how do you decide between them?  Well, I'd like to at least see if a
concensus can be reached before defaulting to the TWG making the decision by
fiat.

-Scott

--
In the first place, God made idiots. That was for practice. Then he made
school boards.