proposal for full application scripting language in KDE 4

koos vriezen koos.vriezen at gmail.com
Sun Oct 8 15:26:45 BST 2006

Leo Savernik <l.savernik at aon.at> wrote:

> An example where scripting is inappropriate: default configuration of
> Kicker/Plasma. Currently, my kicker - containing a conservative amount of
> applets - takes about 30M of ram. If half of these applets were written in
> Python and a quarter in JavaScript, it'd take 100M of ram.

You should know by now that these numbers are not true, more like a
tenth I would guess.
Actually from our khtml experience, one may wonder how plasma will
behave wrt. to the SVG animations, given that konquerors memory grows
in time due to memory fragmentation.

> An example where scripting is appropriate: full blown applications of
> kdegames/kdeedu. A typical user won't need them for productivity.
>
> Summarised: Having a binding to an external scripting language as a
> first-class citizen in KDE: yes.
> Forcing dependency on an external scripting language to have a usable desktop:
> no.

That would eliminate kcontrol modules, while esp. these have so much
benefit from scripting, like easy adjustable by distro maintainers
(and saving half of the kdebase compile time when these were all in
python :-).
But lets not restart this discussion, I agree with Scott.

Koos