Fwd: Linux Format award

George Staikos staikos at kde.org
Wed Oct 4 20:42:56 BST 2006

On Wednesday 04 October 2006 15:35, Robert Knight wrote:
> > Where they, for instance, compare the most complex config page of
> > konqueror with the simplest of Firefox and say "see, look who's most
> > usable!
>
> At the risk of dragging everyone into a flame-fest, they do have a
> point.  Konqueror's settings dialog was discussed as a problem area at
> aKademy, I think there is a lot that can be done to improve it.  The
> usability team have already put together a very informative report on
> other areas of Konqueror.

  Konqueror's settings dialog is not a problem directly.  The problem is that
Konqueror is many times the application that those others are.  It's a file
manager, a web browser, and a universal browser.  It supports various
permutations of plugins.  Our settings are actually quite narrow for what we
could make configurable, but we have a very complex application.

  What would be nice is to only show the directly relevant ones depending on
the mode it is in.  Maybe the format and organization could change slightly,
but consistency is also a good thing.  Having "fewer" or "less complex"
options is not necessarily going to help anything.

--
George Staikos
KDE Developer				http://www.kde.org/