Using scripting languages for KDE4 main modules

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Sun Oct 1 11:31:07 BST 2006

Guillaume Laurent wrote:
>However it's clear that a scripting language would be a good thing to
> have. So the only solution I can see is to decide on an "official"

There's a world of difference between a scripting language that allows one
to extend an existing application and a scripting language to write a
full application on.

For the former case, we already have decided on the official language and
it's JavaScript. We already have the interpreter in KDELibs (KJS).

For the latter case, there's no decision on official language, since there
doesn't have to be. Applications can be written using any binding. But,
as this thread has proven, the basic applications must be in C++ so that
memory consumption stays low.

> scripting language, which would be included in KDE so that the
> dependency problem would be solved for people writing script-based
> apps. It will annoy people who want to stick to their own favorite
> language, but this is a case where trying to make everyone happy will
> end up with everyone frustrated. The good thing about Gnome is that it
> has served as an attraction point for the
>I-refuse-to-use-any-language-but-my-pet-one population, so I don't think
> the KDE crowd would see the enforcement of a standard scripting
> language as a problem anyway.

    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358