Using scripting languages for KDE4 main modules

Guillaume Laurent glaurent at telegraph-road.org
Sun Oct 1 11:13:27 BST 2006

On Saturday 30 September 2006 18:37, Hubert Figuiere wrote:
> > Although I like Python and support scriptability of apps, I understand
> > Leo's concern, because not everyone wants to put the bloat into his
> > system, because developer A wanted to have his app in language A, and
> > developer B in language B.
>
> This is exactly what is happening with Gnome. They introduced panel
> applets written in Python and using LOT OF RAM.

We can see this with Superkaramba, which does look nice but also consumes an
awful lot of memory for rather basic functionality.

However it's clear that a scripting language would be a good thing to have. So
the only solution I can see is to decide on an "official" scripting language,
which would be included in KDE so that the dependency problem would be solved
for people writing script-based apps. It will annoy people who want to stick
to their own favorite language, but this is a case where trying to make
everyone happy will end up with everyone frustrated. The good thing about
Gnome is that it has served as an attraction point for the
I-refuse-to-use-any-language-but-my-pet-one population, so I don't think the
KDE crowd would see the enforcement of a standard scripting language as a
problem anyway.

--
Guillaume.
http://www.telegraph-road.org