Using scripting languages for KDE4 main modules

Guillaume Laurent glaurent at telegraph-road.org
Sun Oct 1 11:57:35 BST 2006

On Sunday 01 October 2006 12:31, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> Guillaume Laurent wrote:
> >However it's clear that a scripting language would be a good thing to
> > have. So the only solution I can see is to decide on an "official"
>
> There's a world of difference between a scripting language that allows one
> to extend an existing application and a scripting language to write a
> full application on.

I know, I wasn't talking about the case of extending an app.

> For the latter case, there's no decision on official language, since there
> doesn't have to be.

On the contrary, I think there has to be one.

> Applications can be written using any binding. But,
> as this thread has proven, the basic applications must be in C++ so that
> memory consumption stays low.

Yes, but for non-basic apps which can be written in a scripting language, it's
better if they are all written in the same one, so we can limit both memory
usage and dependencies to a single binding.

--
Guillaume.
http://www.telegraph-road.org