RFC: API and code changes to KShortcut and KAction

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Fri Nov 24 21:03:27 GMT 2006

On Friday 24 November 2006 21:22, Andreas Hartmetz wrote:
> Hmm. IMHO Shortcuts for single applications are too "special" to put
> them in kdelibs. Obviously kdelibs should at least not get in the way
> if you want to define your own schemes and it would be nice if kdelibs
> could help you. Do you have any specific requirements? You have to
> keep in mind that shortcuts won't be saved (to config files) if they
> are equal to the default and things like that, i.e. integration
> issues. The code to save shortcuts is in some class it shouldn't be in
> anyway IIRC...
> Again, it's more a question of API design than of actual coding. You
> need to say exactly what you want and then we might get a solution
> (and clean up some more code in the process). My time is limited and I
> still have to finish mouse gestures which is going to take some time,
> too.

Okay, requirements and design... Let's take this from the users' point of view
first: just like you can opt for "kde" or "windows" or "osx"
shortcut "themes" in kcontrol, a user would like to select in the application
shortcuts dialog a predefined application-specific shortcut scheme,
like "photoshop" or "WordPerfect".

For the application developer and his cronies, it would be ideal if they could
just create an xml (or text) format file that describes the scheme and that
the dialog could discover and load. This is something that I think should be
part of kdelibs, not done time and again for each application.

--
Boudewijn Rempt
http://www.valdyas.org/fading/index.cgi