RFC: API and code changes to KShortcut and KAction

Andreas Hartmetz ahartmetz at gmail.com
Fri Nov 24 20:22:23 GMT 2006

2006/11/24, Boudewijn Rempt <boud at valdyas.org>:
> On Fri, 24 Nov 2006, Andreas Hartmetz wrote:
>
> > 2006/11/24, Boudewijn Rempt <boud at valdyas.org>:
> > > In all of KDE's svn?
> > not really, but (in trunk)
> > kdelibs
> > kdepimlibs
> > kdebase
> > kdeaccessibility
> > kdeadmin
> > kdeedu
> > kdegraphics
> > kdemultimedia
> > kdenetwork
> > kdepim
> > kdesdk
> > kdetoys
> > kdeutils
> > kdevelop
> > kdewebdev
>
> So no KOffice?
Oops, it isn't in trunk/KDE so I didn't see it. Will probably be done
until monday.

> > > Well, what I really need is per-application shortcut schemes, so I can
> > > define
> > > a Photoshop compatible shortcut scheme, a Macromedia-compatible
> > > shortcut-scheme and perhaps an MS Paint compatible shortcut scheme.
> > I don't see the point of such a capability; as people said in the
> > window title discussion, the main goal of KDE applications should be
> > consistency with other KDE applications. If everybody thought it was a
> > good idea - no problem, KStdAccel could just take an "application" or
> > "scheme" parameter...
>
> You evidently don't have to deal with Photoshop users giving Krita a try. Or
> WordPerfect
> users trying to use KWord. It's not about the common stuff like cut copy and
> paste:
> it's the specific shortcuts that application experts spend years to get into
> their fingers.
> That's why I really need that feature. In fact, I've got people lined up all
> ready to
> start defining shortcut schemes for Krita as soon as this feature is
> implemented.
>
> Boudewijn

Hmm. IMHO Shortcuts for single applications are too "special" to put
them in kdelibs. Obviously kdelibs should at least not get in the way
if you want to define your own schemes and it would be nice if kdelibs
could help you. Do you have any specific requirements? You have to
keep in mind that shortcuts won't be saved (to config files) if they
are equal to the default and things like that, i.e. integration
issues. The code to save shortcuts is in some class it shouldn't be in
anyway IIRC...
Again, it's more a question of API design than of actual coding. You
need to say exactly what you want and then we might get a solution
(and clean up some more code in the process). My time is limited and I
still have to finish mouse gestures which is going to take some time,
too.