Okular moving

Leo Savernik l.savernik at aon.at
Tue Nov 21 20:03:10 GMT 2006

Am Dienstag, 21. November 2006 12:18 schrieb Kevin Krammer:
> > The current grouping gives invaluable hints to packagers which
> > applications to bundle into meta-packages. If essential applications are
> > moved out of "KDE - The Desktop Environment", we again have to rely on
> > distributors to grab those essentials from KEG and link them in their
> > meta-packages.
>
> It mainly depends if packagers use the source packages we release or if
> they do direct checkouts based on tags. In the first case repository
> organisation can be different to release grouing, in the later we have to
> adjust repository organisation to release needs.

Is that true? Do the source packages really divert from what's contained in
the svn-modules? I mean are they recomposed such that kdegraphics.tar.bz2,
for instance, contains packages from, say, KEG? (I frankly don't know, i
never build from source packages.)

> > Even worse, it will lead to a segregation of our user base as distributor
> > x may choose suitable application A, while distributor y may choose
> > suitable application B for the same purpose.
>
> I am sorry to tell you, but distributors already do this. There can be huge
> differences between what we release and what the users get.

True, but this doesn't inhibit KDE from providing a policy for "KDE - The
Desktop Environment"'s constituents as intended by its makers. Currently,
this policy becomes manifest in the release notes by listing the source
packages. These can rightfully be considered to represent "KDE - The Desktop
Environment". Distributors may chose to neglect that fact but they can't
pretend they didn't know.

mfg
	Leo