Okular moving

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Tue Nov 21 20:48:53 GMT 2006

On Tuesday 21 November 2006 21:03, Leo Savernik wrote:
> Am Dienstag, 21. November 2006 12:18 schrieb Kevin Krammer:
> > > The current grouping gives invaluable hints to packagers which
> > > applications to bundle into meta-packages. If essential applications
> > > are moved out of "KDE - The Desktop Environment", we again have to rely
> > > on distributors to grab those essentials from KEG and link them in
> > > their meta-packages.
> >
> > It mainly depends if packagers use the source packages we release or if
> > they do direct checkouts based on tags. In the first case repository
> > organisation can be different to release grouing, in the later we have to
> > adjust repository organisation to release needs.
>
> Is that true? Do the source packages really divert from what's contained in
> the svn-modules? I mean are they recomposed such that kdegraphics.tar.bz2,
> for instance, contains packages from, say, KEG? (I frankly don't know, i
> never build from source packages.)

No.but they could if we wanted to have installation packages tailored to user
needs and still have source modules tailored to developer needs.

In developer terms: the source packages would be views on the repository data
modell

> > > Even worse, it will lead to a segregation of our user base as
> > > distributor x may choose suitable application A, while distributor y
> > > may choose suitable application B for the same purpose.
> >
> > I am sorry to tell you, but distributors already do this. There can be
> > huge differences between what we release and what the users get.
>
> True, but this doesn't inhibit KDE from providing a policy for "KDE - The
> Desktop Environment"'s constituents as intended by its makers. Currently,
> this policy becomes manifest in the release notes by listing the source
> packages. These can rightfully be considered to represent "KDE - The
> Desktop Environment". Distributors may chose to neglect that fact but they
> can't pretend they didn't know.

Just wanted to make sure everybody understands that "will lead to" is no
longer an option as it has already happend.

Cheers,
Kevin

KDE user support, developer mentoring