ReadOnly KParts Was: Re: Okular moving

Hans Meine hans_meine at gmx.net
Fri Nov 17 19:01:57 GMT 2006

On Friday, 17. November 2006 19:33, Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> On Friday 17 November 2006 18:21, Kurt Pfeifle wrote:
> > My main point is: we shouldn't erect an artificial Berlin Wall
> > between viewing and editing functions, just because we see the same
> > thing in Adobe's PDF tools (where mostly business considerations
> > made them to be what they are today).
>
> So it seems the KDE2+3 "you may only _view_ files but not edit them in
> konqueror"-rule doesn't have only friends.
Yes, it was the right decision on the one hand, since Konquerors GUI is
prepared for browsing - the most common action is going from one location
(e.g. file, dir, webpage) to another, and it would be really awkward to adapt
that GUI to editing

> I also thought already quite often "damn, why can't I simply now enter some
> stuff in this text document ? Ahh, I first have to open it with kate
> explicitely".
That's right, thats a price to pay (I even remember days when there was a
cursor inside the doc, but you could not type - that felt even more strange).

In order to "fix" this issue, I propose to have a more prominent "open for
editing" action (e.g. toolbar button, ... - that's a separate usability
topic) which opens "the app" in an *extra window* (IMO this is crucial).
("the app" should be the read-write version of the KPart)

From a technical perspective, it would be most interesting if there was a way
to exploit the fact that there's already a read-only KPart; ideally, the
action should feel like a "detach" from a users' POV - the separate window
should open very quickly and show the same thing as the embedded part (in
terms of position within the document, zoom state, ...).

Ciao, /  /
     /--/
    /  / ANS