ReadOnly KParts Was: Re: Okular moving

Gary L. Greene, Jr. greeneg at phoenuxos.com
Fri Nov 17 19:18:27 GMT 2006

On Friday 17 November 2006 14:01, Hans Meine wrote:
> On Friday, 17. November 2006 19:33, Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> > On Friday 17 November 2006 18:21, Kurt Pfeifle wrote:
> > > My main point is: we shouldn't erect an artificial Berlin Wall
> > > between viewing and editing functions, just because we see the same
> > > thing in Adobe's PDF tools (where mostly business considerations
> > > made them to be what they are today).
> >
> > So it seems the KDE2+3 "you may only _view_ files but not edit them in
> > konqueror"-rule doesn't have only friends.
>
> Yes, it was the right decision on the one hand, since Konquerors GUI is
> prepared for browsing - the most common action is going from one location
> (e.g. file, dir, webpage) to another, and it would be really awkward to
> adapt that GUI to editing
>
> > I also thought already quite often "damn, why can't I simply now enter
> > some stuff in this text document ? Ahh, I first have to open it with kate
> > explicitely".
>
> That's right, thats a price to pay (I even remember days when there was a
> cursor inside the doc, but you could not type - that felt even more
> strange).
>
> In order to "fix" this issue, I propose to have a more prominent "open for
> editing" action (e.g. toolbar button, ... - that's a separate usability
> topic) which opens "the app" in an *extra window* (IMO this is crucial).
> ("the app" should be the read-write version of the KPart)
>
> From a technical perspective, it would be most interesting if there was a
> way to exploit the fact that there's already a read-only KPart; ideally,
> the action should feel like a "detach" from a users' POV - the separate
> window should open very quickly and show the same thing as the embedded
> part (in terms of position within the document, zoom state, ...).

Agreed, the "detach" would open the full featured application, and the
previous container application (note that I'm thinking of Konqueror or any
other case where the read-only viewer could be applied...) would revert to
the state BEFORE opening the read-only kpart.

--
Gary L. Greene, Jr.
Sent from: uriel.tolharadys.net