Okular moving

Jakob Petsovits jpetso at gmx.at
Mon Nov 13 22:11:42 GMT 2006

On Monday 13 November 2006 22:31, Rafael Fernández López wrote:
> Please, you two teams: you are developing software because you think it
> can be handy in some or other way. We should all keep in mind what this
> means. Maybe we have 2 applications that do the same, don't do the same
> (more or less) vi, nano, elvis, emacs ????

I'd say it doesn't make sense to have two different apps for the same
purpose as long as the developers can get together to create something
better than they could do just on their own.

I've been hoping for a long time that the Ligature devs and the Okular devs
would be able to find common ground and merge their efforts for the good of
the KDE user community. But in this case, it seems that there's no chance
that this will happen, so I think it would be unwise to dismiss either of
the projects, because the other project won't gain developers though such a
move.

In case that there's only one application of a kind supposed to be in the
official KDE release, let's just defer this decision until as short as
feasible before the KDE 4 release, then we'll see which project has been
working out better. In my opinion there's still room for two great
multiformat document viewers, as the distributions decide on their scope
anyways. (The only drawback is that for developers like the Kile people,
there are two viewers to possibly target.)

sincerely,
  Jakob