Concluding the discussion about splitting kdebase

Jos van den Oever jvdoever at gmail.com
Mon May 22 16:00:01 BST 2006

On Thursday 18 May 2006 23:31, Sébastien Laoût wrote:
> But today I saved a mail attachment from KMail to the desktop, because I
> needed it temporarily.
> Right click -> "Save as..." -> "Desktop" shortcut

The main problem there, is that you need to save an attachment to be able to
read it. This is silly. The applications should be able to read the file
without needing to save it. Currently, what a user is forced to do is to
write an attachment to disk, creating redundancy and confusion.

The only time this file should be saved somewhere is when you modify it. An
ideal scenario would be:
- receive attachment
- open attachment in application
- modify attachment
- save attachment to disk _or_ send it to someone and thereby storing your
version in an email attachment

Cheers,
Jos