Concluding the discussion about splitting kdebase

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Mon May 22 15:34:41 BST 2006

On Friday 19 May 2006 18:18, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Thursday 18 May 2006 15:31, Sébastien Laoût wrote:
> > But today I saved a mail attachment from KMail to the desktop, because I
> > needed it temporarily.
> > Right click -> "Save as..." -> "Desktop" shortcut
>
> this is something i've been see-sawing back and forth on for some time. i'm
> really tempted to say that this is a very broken way of working that should
> be actively discouraged.
>
> why do people do this? so they can quickly get to that file at a later
> time. but not -too- much later probably otherwise you end up with 100s of
> icons on your desktop that are random files.

A friend of mine is almost exclusively using the desktop to work with files.
He has files arranged in project folders to keep the desktop quite empty and
he says that having limited screen space forces him to reorganize the files
once in a while, which he feels is a positive aspect.

I guess it would be ok if there were some kind of Plasma view/plugin that
allowed this instead of being the main interaction concept, but I am quite
certain he wouldn't like his favorite computer interaction method being taken
away.

Cheers,
Kevin

--