[Fwd: [kde-artists] Where to install (new) HiColor icons]

David Faure faure at kde.org
Mon May 15 10:46:57 BST 2006

On Sunday 14 May 2006 21:05, James Richard Tyrer wrote:
> r538403 | jriddell | 2006-05-07 13:05:44 -0700 (Sun, 07 May 2006) | 6 lines
> Remove hicolour icons. KDE does not ship hicolour icons, they are for third part applications.

Honestly I am confused by the whole icon theme situation. But deleting someone else's
work (without discussion? although I guess there was discussion?) is never a good thing.
Jonathan, we need to find a consenssus on this issue before doing more ping-pong commits.

There seems to be a misunderstanding about the icon theme structure or naming (I remember from
Antonio's page that there was some complication for backwards compatibility, something
about default!=default and hicolor!=hicolor which makes the whole matter rather complex indeed...)

I mean, obviously there is an agreement on shipping non-crystal-svg-looking icons, not just
on how they should be named (hicolor or kdeclassic), right?
"Jonathan said KDE will NOT support the HiColor icon theme" seems to be simple escalation of the issue;
if the icontheme is called kdeclassic but is loadable by gnome as "hicolor" that's good too, right?
But I don't know what the exact plan was though. I remember something fishy like "hicolor means
whatever the default kde theme is, for backward compatibility" or something equally unclear ;)
Jonathan, can you explain your reasoning? I think kde-core-devel is missing your side of the story.

Antonio, you're the expert with the icon loader. Can you tell us how the "classic-looking"
icons installed by kde should be called, so that gnome can use them?

In any case it sounds like something we can easily straighten out for kde4, where compatibility
is a lesser concern. We can call hicolor hicolor, and get rid of kdeclassic - if that's what makes
interoperability with other environments easier.