[Fwd: [kde-artists] Where to install (new) HiColor icons]

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Sun May 14 20:05:38 BST 2006

I posted this to the kde-artists list a week ago and have received no
reply.  This icon question needs to be decided -- probably by the TWG.

The way this looks to me is that I expended considerable work on this.
I took the suggestion of other developers and moved the HiColor theme to
KDEArtWork.  And, now suddenly without contacting me and with an
aversive comment on SVN, JR has simply discarded my work.

The clear message is: "NO HELP WANTED".  If there is no useful
discussion, that is the way I am going to take this and simply stop
making icons.

I thought that we were all supposed to be peers in this project.  Or, is
this the way that it is supposed to work?

The icon theme support remains a mess which I am willing to help
straighten out.  The attitude appears to be that nobody cares if icon
themes don't work correctly since there is no problem as long as you use
the Default (CrystalSVG).  If that is the case, why not simply delete
all other icon themes since they don't work correctly.  I have a major
kludge installed on my system as a work around in order to get
HiColor/KDEClassic to work correctly.

Basically, what JR has said is the KDE will NOT support the HiColor icon
theme.  Was it up to him to make that decision?  Yes, there are some
issues that need to be considered, but GNOME supports HiColor and
FreeDesktop.org standards require it.

I have made new icons for KDE Standard Actions and Konqueror functions.
  We need to have HiColor icons for these since KDEArtWork installs
several icons themes that don't have them.  And there are many other
icon themes available on KDE-Look that don't have them yet.  Not having
them violates the intent of the spec and causes problems for anyone that
doesn't use CrystalSVG.

I can't help but wonder if the fact that I committed some HiColor icons
before I made and committed the corresponding CrystalSVG showed that
*the* bug in the icon loader existed even if using CrystalSVG.  Was that
the reason for his action or am I getting paranoid?

It appears that the artists can't seem to get along (this isn't the
first problem with my work being deleted without consulting me) so we
really need some outside help in making decisions.