[Fwd: [kde-artists] Where to install (new) HiColor icons]

Jonathan Riddell jr at jriddell.org
Mon May 15 12:35:19 BST 2006

On Mon, May 15, 2006 at 11:46:57AM +0200, David Faure wrote:
> On Sunday 14 May 2006 21:05, James Richard Tyrer wrote:
> > r538403 | jriddell | 2006-05-07 13:05:44 -0700 (Sun, 07 May 2006) | 6 lines
> > Remove hicolour icons. KDE does not ship hicolour icons, they are for third part applications.
>
> Honestly I am confused by the whole icon theme situation. But deleting someone else's
> work (without discussion? although I guess there was discussion?) is never a good thing.
> Jonathan, we need to find a consenssus on this issue before doing more ping-pong commits.

It has been discussed to death on kde-artists.

> "Jonathan said KDE will NOT support the HiColor icon theme" seems to
> be simple escalation of the issue;

I said we don't ship hicolour icons, not that we don't support it.
Hicolour is the fallback icon space and is used by third party
applications so that their icons will always be found no matter what
icon theme is selected by the desktop environment or user.
(e.g. KOffice should really ship with its icons in hicolour incase KDE
changes from crystalsvg to a different theme, although in practice
this isn't a problem since KDE will change icon theme during the
change to KDE 4 so you can't install old KOffice with new KDE).

> if the icontheme is called kdeclassic but is loadable by gnome as
> "hicolor" that's good too, right?

You can't choose your icon theme to be hicolour in Gnome.  hicolour is
a space for thirdparty icons not an icon theme itself.

> Antonio, you're the expert with the icon loader. Can you tell us how the "classic-looking"
> icons installed by kde should be called, so that gnome can use them?

KDE programmes run under gnome will still use the same icon theme as
when run under KDE, by default they'll use crystalsvg, or you can
install kdeclassic and set it to use that if you wan classic looking icons.

> In any case it sounds like something we can easily straighten out for kde4, where compatibility
> is a lesser concern. We can call hicolor hicolor, and get rid of kdeclassic - if that's what makes
> interoperability with other environments easier.

That would go against the icons spec, cause numberous clashes of
files and not help anything in any way.

If you're a fan of the kdeclassic theme just install that and feel
free to make new icons to fill in the gaps it has.

Jonathan